VoSD on TV
CNN IBN 'India Positive' features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
ABN News (formerly Star News) features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 1)
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 2)
- CUPA's ABC of catching dogs - some dogs are too old to learn new tricks
- AWS Queens Road Bangalore: Report on findings point to merciless killing, not just callousness
- Animal Welfare Society (AWS) - an ABC deathtrap that should be shut down
- Hell for stray dogs is the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Autonagar dog pound
- 'Stray Dogs in Indian Cities' - a photo-essay by Gokul Krishnan
- Of touristy ‘Elephant Camps’, elephant training and ‘disciplining’ rogue elephants. This time in Sakrebailu, Shimoga, Karnataka
- Illegal Slaughter house in Rajamudry, East Godavari District run with the knowledge & complicity of the Corporation. Report by Gopal R Surabathula & Animal Rescue Org
- 100+ dogs killed in a 2 hr operation in Aratakatla, Kakinada Rural, East Godavari Dist on July 8. A report by Gopal R Surabathula on location
- Jallikattu Judgement by the Supreme Court of India (Part III): Speciesism and Fundamental Rights on Animals
- Jallikattu Judgement: When the Supreme Court of India declared the rights of animals to be an issue of “Seminal Importance” (Part II)
- Jallikattu Judgement: When the Supreme Court of India declared the rights of animals to be an issue of “Seminal Importance” (Part I)
- The Supreme Court of India rules against animal abuse: Bans Jallikattu and Bullock cart racing
- CNVR in practice in India (Part I): How it ‘eased’ its way in India ‘through’ the sub par TANUVAS-AWBI research
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
Of touristy ‘Elephant Camps’, elephant training and ‘disciplining’ rogue elephants. This time in Sakrebailu, Shimoga, Karnataka
Posted on | July 13, 2014 | 4 Comments
Elephants in captivity are not a good thing. Elephants in zoos. Elephants in temples. Elephants in ‘Elephants in Elephant camps’. Elephants are slaves and captive labor at best. Beggars at worst. But they don’t just become it. They’re trained. They’re broken. And the Govt does it in its watch. And you know about the ‘rogue’ elephants that are caught and they put to task! Well they just disappear looks like. India needs only happy well adjusted pachyderms. India is still the land of elephants and snake charmers in the Incredible India brochures, right?
The following is an account of 2 individuals travelling together to the Sakrebailu Elephant (training camp). This one is 300 Kms. from Bengaluru, 12 Km from Shimoga. And Karanataka is dotted with many – in Dubare, Chamarajanagar and Nagarhole. The latter 3 are considered more ‘upmarket’ - Sakrebailu more approachable and more importantly is the one where you’re allowed to ‘interact’ with the elephants. As the Central Govt website says for Sakrebailu:
“On the way to Thirthahalli from Shimoga, 14 kms away from the city you can hear elephants reciting their lessons. Yes its not a joke its fact that you can find here many elephants being trained by training professionals. Elephant from the adjoining forests bathe at this spot before they re-enter their forest abode. Every morning these majestic creatures waddle down to waters and after playfully cleansed their bodies and satiated their thirst, they leave the waters before the rays of the sun get stronger. They are off to deal with their day’s routine only to return the following day. To catch a glimpse of these mammoths at play in the waters, get there before 9 a.m.”
Idyllic surroundings no doubt. In the shrinking land of elephant – a slice of paradise. Kaustubh Dharkar and Naina Athale (both from Mumbai) went to Shakrebailu on 22 June 2014 to soak in the paradise.
But before we continue please watch this video. No please. Its important that you watch it and not turn your eyes away. Tomorrow this is the elephant you will give money to at a temple, or ride at a camp like this or come to Karnataka or Kerala or any of the ‘elephant states’ seeing it in a slick brochure. The video is shaky because it was unexpected and Kaustubh Dharkar’s hand was shaky.
This is Kaustubh Dharkar: Read more
Illegal Slaughter house in Rajamudry, East Godavari District run with the knowledge & complicity of the Corporation. Report by Gopal R Surabathula & Animal Rescue Org
Posted on | July 13, 2014 | 1 Comment
Illegal cattle slaughter is illegal but rampant in India with Kerala & West Bengal as its sole ‘legal’ outposts. Earlier we’d covered cattle slaughter in Andhra Pradesh – and this is yet another report on slaughter continuing unabated despite a High Court Order.
In this report sent to the The Commissioner of the Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation, Gopal refers to the slaughter of Cattle taking place in slaughter house situated in Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation limits of East Godavari District – Slaughter of Cattle is clear violation of the existing Acts and the orders of the High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in WP.No.27963 of 2012 and PIL No.365 of 2013.
He refers to
- The Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Cow Slaughter and Animal Preservation Act, 1977 (11 of 1977). The Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Cow Slaughter and Animal Preservation Rules, 1980.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animal (Slaughter House) Rules, 2001
(PCA) Slaughter House Amendment Rules, 2010.
- The Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998.
- The Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, (E.P.A.)
- High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in WP.No.27963 of 2012.
- The Municipal Corporation, Rajahmundry, Endorsement no. R.O.C.no.209/2012-A1, dated 30-03-2012.
- Letter from The Municipal Corporation, Rajahmundry, letter no. R.O.C.No.2012- A.D.M-0216-F1, dated 18-12-2012.
- Order from The Commissioner, Municipal Corporation, Rajahmundry, R.O.C.No.223/2009-F1, dated 17-10-2012.
- Letter from The Joint Director, Animal Husbandry, Kakinada, 4833/S.I/2012, dated 28-11-2012.
- High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in PIL.No.365 of 2013
- High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in W.P.No.28863 and W.P.No.28863 and 30927 of 2013.
- The Supreme Court of India, New Delhi, Civil original Jurisdiction W.P. (C) No. 309 of 2003, dated 27-08-2013.
And states that: Read more
RACE TO 10 LACS
Rs. 1083302 of Rs. 10 lakh
0 5L 10 L
VoSD Source of funds*
16.29 lakhs 298 lakhs
Donor funds Founder funds
Search VoSD CRM
VoSD Rescue quick STATS
|Service available since: 2012-10-15 |
Days in Service: 654
Blood bank Quick Stats
|Service available since: 2014-01-02 |
Days in Service: 210
CONTRIBUTE TO VoSD in INR
Look for content37197/2011 clubbed with WP(PIL)641/2007 Animal Rights Fund Animal Welfare Board of India Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) Animal Welfare Society ARF AWBI AWS bakr-id Bangalore BBMP CUPA Diana Bharucha Dog attack dog bite Dr Piran Hyderabad jallikattu Kelly Johnson Levin Municipal Corporation of Srinagar (SMC) Parsee Parsi Prof. Sonya Ghosh Rakesh Shukla Sandeep SDFB Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (SKUAST smuggling cattle to Bangladesh SONYA GHOSH Stray Dog Free Bangalore stray dogs bangalore Supreme Court Tamil Nadu High Court TAMIL NADU REGULATION OF JALLIKATTU ACT The Voice of STray Dogs Traer Scott VoSD VoSD Conference on Catalyzing Activism for Stray Dogs WP (PIL)427/2007 AND WP No.4034/2007 WP(PIL)501/2007 WP(PIL) 4920/2007 WP (PIL)6229/2007 WP(PIL)7642/2007 WP(PIL)7644/2007