VoSD on TV
CNN IBN 'India Positive' features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
ABN News (formerly Star News) features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 1)
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 2)
'The Voice of Stray Dogs' (2011-13), rescue and help info
- CUPA's ABC of catching dogs - some dogs are too old to learn new tricks
- AWS Queens Road Bangalore: Report on findings point to merciless killing, not just callousness
- Animal Welfare Society (AWS) - an ABC deathtrap that should be shut down
- Hell for stray dogs is the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Autonagar dog pound
- 'Stray Dogs in Indian Cities' - a photo-essay by Gokul Krishnan
- Sexual Abuse of Street Dogs in India: An analysis of the phenomenon, the law, 1st hand accounts & press reporting
- The Voice of Stray Dogs presentation (eff Oct 2014) VoSD scale, delivery, systems and processes
- (Some) VoSD’s dogs have been poisoned at the VoSD Trauma Center, likely by ‘NGO activists’ in Bangalore
- Did you know that the (in)famous Chili Beef of Kerala is literally Chili Beef when alive?
- Rescue of 31 cattle by PFCI in Perumanallur (Tirupur District) Tamilnadu: A Case Study
- Crime against dogs: VoSD Crowdsourced Study on Sexual Assaults on Indian Street Dogs
- Anatomy of an activist raid & rescue of illegal transportation of cattle for slaughter in New Delhi (Part 2): Aug 23, 2014
- Anatomy of an activist raid & rescue of illegal transportation of cattle for slaughter in New Delhi (Part 1): The night of June 22, 2014
- October 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
Posted on | August 24, 2011 | 15 Comments
On the morning of 23rd Aug 2011 Vijayadevi Mamidi, Kalyan and Shruti visited the GHMC Autonagar dog pound. This was as a follow up of their previous visit which had exposed the death trap that the GHMC Autonagar dog pound is < see previous article>. The reports of the present report, as well as the previous visit, have been shared with the Municipal Commissioner and the Mayor of Hyderabad. A notice was served by AWBI on the basis of the previous , but little seems to have changed for all the noise that was made. [Video and picture gallery at the bottom of the page]
- Whelping mothers caught with ropes: As the volunteers entered the Autonagar road they saw a large crowd around a GHMC van. GHMC dog catchers were catching dogs with ropes (see picture) – this is strictly against ABC (Dog) Rules and AWBI SOP. On being asked why ropes where being used when it is illegal the workers maintained that ropes were being used since their nets were spoiled. However nets, fully intact, could clearly be seen with the dog catchers and in the van. The dog that was caught was a whelping mother. On being confronted by the volunteers the GHMC workers cut the rope – and she ran away with the rope noose still around her neck. She was later joined by the puppies.
- No change in 2 weeks: As the volunteers entered the pound they saw the same scene from before – starving dogs with no water and food, non-operated and operated showcase dogs, injured dogs with no medical attention, whelping mothers with puppies, cages crammed with dogs, dead dogs lying in cages.
- Juveniles and puppies for ABC: On entering the pound one could see cages stuffed with dogs & pups and juvenile dogs
brought in for ABC procedure.
- Starvation disease death: One dog was dead, apparently of startavation, its stiff body clearly showing that death had occured a few hours if at least not a day back. The staff had not even noticed this till they were specifically told about this particular cage and this dog.
- Whelping mother and pups: As they entered the 2nd shed they saw a whelping mother with her pups a few days old. The workers said that she was pregnant when brought and had littered in the pound! Sensing that the puppies were in danger at the risk of infections at that place the volunteers requested that they call Blue Cross, so that the mother and puppies would be taken care by the Blue Cross of Hyderabad. At that time one of the staff members called Dr. P.Rama Krishna Rao and he talked on phone to Mrs. Vijayadevi. He was upset at the volunteer visit and said that they would rather “let the female and the puppies die rather than hand it over to the ****** Blue Cross”.
- Food for dogs and bowls: Seeing the lack of cooperation, lack of food and feeding bowls full of excreta and urine, the volunteers went back to the market to get some food bowls and food. Since it was early morning the volunteers could only procure plastic bowls as an interim measure, and procured 60 bowls. On returning they were joined in by Dr. P. Rama Krishna Rao (Vet office) & Dr. M. Kiran Kumar (Asst. Director GHMC). They were emphatic that no food could be given to dogs without the permission of the CVO. The food was then forcibly taken away from the volunteers.
- Aggressive, threatening GHMC staff: Both Dr. P. Rama Krishna Rao (Vet office) & Dr. M. Kiran Kumar (Asst. Director GHMC) then started threatening the volunteers for giving complaints against them and were abusive and threatening. They said quote, ‘Stupid volunteers are not allowed to help any animals and we can complain to Commissioner or Blue Cross or PFA or anybody else and they don’t care’. All 3 volunteers were threatened with the volunteers’ ‘bones being broken if they entered the pound again’. Dr. P. Rama Krishna Rao (Vet office) & Dr. M. Kiran Kumar (Asst. Director GHMC) were joined by the GHMC staff and the crowd was very intimidating, threatening and aggressive towards the volunteers. They pushed out the volunteers from the premises of the GHMC
The state of affairs at the GHMC dog pound can be gauged not only from the accompanying video and photo accounts, but also that government officials who’s duty and responsibility it is to take care of the animals chose to relinquish that responsibility and behave like street fighters!
RACE TO 11 LACS
Rs. 806801 of Rs. 11 lakh
0 5.75L 11.5 L
VoSD Source of funds*
41.5 lakhs 551 lakhs
Donor funds Management Fund
Search VoSD CRM
VoSD Rescue quick STATS
|Service available since: 2012-10-15 |
Days in Service: 740
Blood bank Quick Stats
|Service available since: 2014-01-02 |
Days in Service: 296
CONTRIBUTE TO VoSD in INR
Look for content37197/2011 clubbed with WP(PIL)641/2007 Animal Rights Fund Animal Welfare Board of India Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) Animal Welfare Society ARF AWBI AWS bakr-id Bangalore BBMP CUPA Diana Bharucha Dog attack Hyderabad Illegal cattle slaughter Illegal slaughter Illegal transportation jallikattu Kelly Johnson Levin Municipal Corporation of Srinagar (SMC) Parsee Parsi Prof. Sonya Ghosh Rakesh Shukla Sandeep SDFB Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (SKUAST SONYA GHOSH Stray Dog Free Bangalore stray dogs bangalore Supreme Court Tamil Nadu High Court TAMIL NADU REGULATION OF JALLIKATTU ACT The Voice of STray Dogs Traer Scott VoSD VoSD Conference on Catalyzing Activism for Stray Dogs WP (PIL)427/2007 AND WP No.4034/2007 WP(PIL)501/2007 WP(PIL) 4920/2007 WP (PIL)6229/2007 WP(PIL)7642/2007 WP(PIL)7644/2007