Voice of Stray Dogs, Data, Information, Analysis, Opinion ABC, ARV, Legal, Reports

VoSD Helpline:
1-800-3010-1901
Bangalore, Mon-Sun, 9am-6pm
Read VoSD Rescue SOP | info@strays.in

Posted on | May 29, 2012 | 20 Comments

"The Voice of Stray Dogs" Conference & Panel Discussion on "Catalyzing Activism for Stray Dogs in India" in Bangalore on 26 May 2012

The entire proceedings of the conference including presentations and video’s of speakers will be made available here. This is the 1st edition of the this information being available for Activists for Stray Dogs to leverage on.

The presentation and text of the “Basic law and rights for Stray Dogs in India: Prevention of Cruelties to Animals Act, Dog Rules 2001, Indian Penal Code & Court action” by Anjali Sharma at VoSD Conference on Catalyzing Activism for Stray Dogs, Bangalore, 26 May 2012

Anjali Sharma, Supreme Court and Delhi High Court Lawyer, Member of the Animal Welfare Board of India, Member of the Board of 'The Voice of Stray Dogs' and a leading legal voice for animal rights voice was one of the speakers and panelists

Presentation Outline

I. CRUELTY PROVISIONS/ THE CARE THAT AN ANIMAL WOULD BE ENTITLED TO/ THE INDIAN PENAL CODE & OFFENSES AGAINST ANIMALS 2

(A) PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ACT, 1960 2

11. Treating animals cruelly: 2

Duties of persons having charge of animals: 4

(B) INDIAN PENAL CODE, 1860 4

428. Mischief by killing or maiming animal of the value of ten rupees 5

429. Mischief by killing or maiming cattle, etc., of any value or any animal of the value of fifty rupees 5

377. Unnatural offences 5

284. Negligent conduct with respect to poisonous substance 6

II. NEGLIGENT CONDUCT WITH RESPECT TO AN ANIMAL, AND CRIMINAL INTIMIDATION 6

289. Negligent conduct with respect to animal 6

503. Criminal Intimidation 7

506. Punishment for criminal intimidation 7

III. LAWFUL MANNER OF DEALING WITH STREET DOGS 7

THE ANIMAL BIRTH CONTROL (DOGS) RULES, 2001 8

IV. FEEDING – LEGALITY & RWAS 10

268. Public nuisance 11

V. HOUSING SOCIETIES THAT BAN PETS 12

Basic law and rights for Stray Dogs in India –
PCA/ Dog Rules/ Indian Penal Code/ Court action

Presentation by Anjali Sharma at VoSD Conference on “Catalysing Acivism for Stray Dogs”

Bangalore, 26 May 2012

Comments

20 Responses to “Basic law and rights for Stray Dogs in India: Prevention of Cruelties to Animals Act, Dog Rules 2001, Indian Penal Code & Court action – Proceedings of the VoSD Conference in Bangalore”

1. deepa
    June 15th, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

working on an individual level for stray dogs etc rescuing them ,taking a hurt dog for treatment & above all got all the dogs of my block neutered.i have adopted 2 about 7 years back.feed all the dogs of my lane to which many object .this case of rogers is really in our favour.hope together as a strength v continue our mission of providing them better lives.

2. deepa
    June 15th, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

have no website

3. straysadmin
    June 15th, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Dear Deepa, no website is required for those who actually can, and do, go out and help dogs. But we’d be happy to highlight your work – can you send a detailed account with pictures to info@strays.in. We’d love to hear from you

4. Ayesha Husna
    June 29th, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Hello Deepa,

Your efforts are praiseworthy.
    There are increasing number of stray dogs everywhere in Bangalore and it is a pity that the animal welfare association isn’t doing enough to ensure that their lives are taken care of. They jump to action only when there is a registered complaint against dog bites, rabid dogs and such menaces. Even the law states that their action is primarily based on complaints received from localities. There are also a lot of dogs affected with skin diseases as a result of mite and flea infestations. Something needs to be done about this and if you need volunteers then i’m sure a lot of animal lovers will pool in to rescue these stray dogs. We can also create awareness in different localities to treat street dogs well and provide them with food and water for sustenance and also eliminate roadside garbage heaps so that these animals don’t go looking for food in the garbage which is a likely ground for skin diseases.

It is my suggestion that we bring this to the notice of reputed organisations such as CUPA, PFA and the others specifically devoted to working for stray dogs as they can definitely gather funds and vehicles and with coordination from volunteers can help sterilize and treat these animals from locality to locality and one day the whole of Bangalore will be safe for dogs and the dog population will reduce hence, sparing new born litter from the devastating living conditions.

Alone you can help a few, but a group can reach many.

5. straysadmin
    July 4th, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

Ayesha – the idea of The Voice of Stray Dogs (VoSD) is to deliver the whole set of services for stray dogs – and it is a result of what we thought people should be doing – but don’t. This will eventually be an extensive service. Follow on http://www.facebook.com/strays.in and vet.strays.in – you’ll see what we do other than investigation and reports that is on this page

regards

6. Himesh Chande
    July 7th, 2012 @ 1:15 am

I would like to know the contact details of VoSD in Mumbai. If there is one in Mumbai. I think I agree with Ayesha Husna that much more can be done and in a better manner to ensure there is no cruelty on these poor animals.

7. Amala
    July 13th, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Hello…. I think we need to protest against the way these people are lodging unnecessary complaint against strays. They need to be fed and they will be fine… Even if 3 houses can feed one stray, that will be more than enough. I think people have to get more educated and compassionate towards the natural beings.

8. Mayank Gade
    November 11th, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Sorry that i am writing in Hindi.
    But actually i can’t express my thoughts in English.
    I belong to m.p. state Bhopal District.
    Mai jab bhi ghar se nikalta hu to dekhta hu bohot sare street dogs sadak pe ghumte hai koi bhi unhe maar deta hai koi bhi unhe kisi object se maar deta hai. mujhe bohot bura lagta hai mujhse jitna hota hai mai utna unhe rokta hu, jab bhi koi bitch pubs ko birth deti hai unpe koi dhyan dene vala nai hota par mujhe aisa koi jaha bhi dikhta hai mai uski help karta hu. mujhe bohot sari queries hai. mujhe unke liye kuch karna hai par mai akela nai kar pa raha hu. mai bohot tensed hu unhe lekar. mere city me total 40000 street dogs hai unhe BMC( Bhopal Municipal corporation) waste ki tarah fetch karkar throw kar deti hai. ek law padha tha ki street dogs ki nasbandi karke unhe unhi area me choda jaye jaha vo pehle the par aisa nai hota vo unko doosre area me chod dete hai jisse ki vo aggressive ho jate hai fir public area me pareshan karte hai. jise koi nai samjhta ki vo galti kiski hai. vo seedhe dog ko blame karke use hurt karte hai jispe ki log claping karte hai. its going wrong. mujhe bohot iccha hai ki mai unki help karu. agar mai apki kisi bhi tarah se help kar sakta hu to please let me know.
    My cell no. is +917879305281
    Mayank Gade.

9. Yuvaraj Shamrao Lahute
    June 30th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Very nice efforts to say about those (animals) who cannot say by their tong. I like it. I support your mission to protect all living animals.

10. M L Dey
    July 27th, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

‘me & my wife feed stray dogs of our society, against the wishes of most; take them for Anti-Rabbies’ injection, take them to see docs when injured or ill . ‘Got few of them neutered . It’s since last 4 years now. The society members have decided to isolate us and does not like to talk to us , even quarrel every now and then. Its OK , how does it matter to us ? We are just trying to help out innocent animals , God’s creation !

11. KARM SINGH
    August 2nd, 2013 @ 6:40 am

Stray dogs are becoming a big problem for our society especially for our children and ladies. The population of stray dogs is increasing day by day. We are seeing cases of attack by stray dogs on babies/ children, ladies and our milk producing animals, caused serious injuries. There is need to develop the mechanism to solve this problem

12. anirudh gupta
    August 9th, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

mai aur meri family 6 years se streets dogs ko pal rhi hai.but kuch dino se colony k kuch logo ne dogs ko marna shuru kar dia hai.kuch mar gaye hai kuch injured please help me ki kya india m street dogs ki protection k liy law hai

13. Preetham
    August 22nd, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

@KARM SINGH: We humans are becoming a big problem for our echo system especially for our environment and the animals. The population of humans is increasing day by day. We are seeing cases of attack by humans on Rhinos, elephants, tigers, dogs, and almost all the animals living on this earth caused serious threat to environment. There is need to develop the mechanism to solve this problem.

Please be educated and educate others on how we can avoid such incidents (dog bites). Dogs are part of our echo system. If you remove one dog from a place, soon that place would be taken by another.

14. Dilip Khankhoje
    October 31st, 2013 @ 5:42 pm

It is surprised and shocking that the proper records are not being maintained by Pune Municiple corporation while picking up the strays from the area for sterlization .
    Records are not being maintained even while releasing dogs after sterlization and it is not being ensured to return these dogs to their street or a spot from ehere theyare picked up .I have been following up one such case where 6 dogs are not yet returned to the spot in last more than 20 days .still search is on .why systems should not be there ?

15. Roopa
    November 11th, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

Its really sad that stray dogs are treated this way. Im an animal lover n own 12 stray dogs at home. Even i fight with people who are against dogs. I help injured dogs and get the dogs neutered. I have got all my street dogs neutered. But there are dogs that im unable to connect with n catch them for sterilization. I use my car to take the dogs n I fund on my own.

I need some guys who can help in catching dogs n i can take them to the near by vet n get sterilized. This way atleast we can control the dogs being multiplied.

Can VOSD help me in this? Atleast i can do my bit with my own funds for these poor strays.

16. Shubham Ravi
    November 26th, 2013 @ 10:40 am

regarding help at gautam greeen city at Ranchi buty moor jharkhand . kindly Prevention of Cruelties from street Dog . we love dog , but street dog bite when enter any person in campus

17. Gitika
    March 28th, 2014 @ 12:04 am

I would like to have some advice or suggestions from you.
    My mother who a senior citizen (resident of Sector 28, Vashi), takes care of a few stray dogs by feeding them.
    She has ensured that they are vaccinated and also recently got them sterlized. She has been taking of many dogs over the years.

However since a few months people have been taunting and tormenting her. If these dogs bark they come and complain to my mother. They tend to run after kids when they are playing. But they do not bite them.
    We have tried explaining people that we do not train them or are responsible for them as we do not keep them in our house. Hence we can’t control their actions.

These people still hold my mother responsible for the actions of these stray dogs.

I would really appreciate if you could suggest what should I do for my mother’s well being as these situations are very stressful for her.

My contact # 9860303168

Hoping for some assistance.

18. Harshil morabia
    April 6th, 2014 @ 1:06 am

Hello admin i feed street dogs in my society . They must be around 25 to 30 dogs in society. Society chairman says that you cant feed street dogs and we have passed a circular in society tht not to feed this dogs . So now becoz of circular i have to stop feeding this poor dogs?? What if they lodge police complaints?? Plz reply by mail or message on my cell +919712155115

19. MAnisha
    August 22nd, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

Last night they beat up a puppy in our compound in Electronic city. I went to tell them not to do it since I was trying to get it adopted. The other residents wanted it killed. I cannot even begin to explain the struggle people like me face in this society. Please can someone come and speak with them or hold a workshop.

20. akshay bafna
    November 24th, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

hello sir i feed the strey dogs of my lane and also take care of them by giving them medical treatment .but problem with me is that society member behave very badly with they strey dogs i just need a copy of law regarding strey dogs so that i can take action aganist some society members who create prblms for strey dogs . sir i need u r support for the betterment of strey animals so that there life can be improved
    thanking you