VoSD on TV
CNN IBN 'India Positive' features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
ABN News (formerly Star News) features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 1)
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 2)
- CUPA's ABC of catching dogs - some dogs are too old to learn new tricks
- AWS Queens Road Bangalore: Report on findings point to merciless killing, not just callousness
- Animal Welfare Society (AWS) - an ABC deathtrap that should be shut down
- Hell for stray dogs is the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Autonagar dog pound
- 'Stray Dogs in Indian Cities' - a photo-essay by Gokul Krishnan
- Of touristy ‘Elephant Camps’, elephant training and ‘disciplining’ rogue elephants. This time in Sakrebailu, Shimoga, Karnataka
- Illegal Slaughter house in Rajamudry, East Godavari District run with the knowledge & complicity of the Corporation. Report by Gopal R Surabathula & Animal Rescue Org
- 100+ dogs killed in a 2 hr operation in Aratakatla, Kakinada Rural, East Godavari Dist on July 8. A report by Gopal R Surabathula on location
- Jallikattu Judgement by the Supreme Court of India (Part III): Speciesism and Fundamental Rights on Animals
- Jallikattu Judgement: When the Supreme Court of India declared the rights of animals to be an issue of “Seminal Importance” (Part II)
- Jallikattu Judgement: When the Supreme Court of India declared the rights of animals to be an issue of “Seminal Importance” (Part I)
- The Supreme Court of India rules against animal abuse: Bans Jallikattu and Bullock cart racing
- CNVR in practice in India (Part I): How it ‘eased’ its way in India ‘through’ the sub par TANUVAS-AWBI research
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
A security company in Navi Mumbai holds 24 pedigreed dogs – likely illegally bred or stolen – hostage in squalid conditions: dogs to be used a guard dogs
Posted on | July 6, 2012 | 4 Comments
Investigation, photo’s and text by Naina Athale (VoSD Board member, IDA Managing Committee member, co-opted member of AWBI, FIAPO Governing Board member). Titles and photo captioning by Rakesh Shukla
On 3 July 2012, at 6:27pm, I received a call from Mrs. Shakuntala Mazumdar of Thane SPCA , informing that she had a call from an unknown person who informed her that several dogs were howling and seemed to be on the first floor of a godown (warehouse) inside Gate No.4, Dana bazaar, APMC Market.
I reached there approximately around 6:45pm . Mr. Shrikant Raskar, an animal lover living in Kopar Khairne, had also reached there on his own at the same time. Two people were standing out side the godown and said that they were the employees of a kennel and that they were under contract to provide security to the APMC market, and that there were indeed dogs inside that were tied up on top from sunrise to sunset and after 7pm were brought down for security.
Together, Mr. Shrikant, I and the two employees, we went up to the first floor of the godown where we could hear the dogs bark. What we saw was as follows:
- The place was absolutely filthy and stinking; there was dog stools and urine everywhere.
- There was some rotted food in bowls, and plastic and some pedigree in bowls.
- There were a few bowls of dirty water.
- All dogs were tied on short leashes, some with rope, and were sitting in water and their own urine. To our shock and surprise, there were ; Labradors, Rottweilers, Doberman, Boxers and German Shepherds and two pups, possible mix breed.
- It was pitch dark and on insisting, one man joined two wires together to start a bulb and one lone tube-light. (Some of the photographs that we took were taken deliberately without a flash to show the situation better.)
- There were approximately 24 high pedigree dogs in all, tied all around at window grills, closed gala doors etc.
- There was no other electricity.
- There were open wires hanging dangerously about the place.
- There were no fans, and the heat was bad and de-energizing.
- There were no taps for running water and there was dirty water stored in small drums.
- There were no gutters for drainage.
- The dogs had left their food as it was dirty and stale and completely unpalatable. In any case, the dogs seemed ill, and depressed.
- There were huge, fat rodents roaming freely around the dogs and eating from their bows and also jumping on the dogs, and enormous roaches.
Is this truly ‘security’? Security for whom? Are the dogs being exploited for any other purpose, such as unlawful breeding, is a question coming up in my mind. In any case, whatever is occurring is an obvious violation of animal welfare laws and principles, and I have lodged a case with the concerned police station, under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, and the Indian Penal Code.
On a personal note:
1) I did not sleep the entire night of the 3rd, and barely on the 4th. Being human, I went into panic mode thinking of the risks I & Shrikant took so causally..walking up the pitch dark staircase to the first floor using the light from our mobiles, the open wires hanging and water all around, vile drug addicts and alcoholics handing around in the filth on the ground floor…the large roaches and rodents all around….the abusive staff…anything could have happened, just about anything.. I have to thank the young man Shrikant for being so brave and being with me since then through it all…and my dear friend Anjali Sharma whom I kept calling up for guidance and sanity…
2) Again, it has shook me about human behavior and motivation and has taken away another little bit of my soul..I wonder how much of that soul will be left in a few years, because nowadays, it does not even get replaced.
RACE TO 10 LACS
Rs. 1064302 of Rs. 10 lakh
0 5L 10 L
VoSD Source of funds*
16.29 lakhs 298 lakhs
Donor funds Founder funds
Search VoSD CRM
VoSD Rescue quick STATS
|Service available since: 2012-10-15 |
Days in Service: 646
Blood bank Quick Stats
|Service available since: 2014-01-02 |
Days in Service: 202
CONTRIBUTE TO VoSD in INR
Look for content37197/2011 clubbed with WP(PIL)641/2007 Animal Rights Fund Animal Welfare Board of India Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) Animal Welfare Society ARF AWBI AWS bakr-id Bangalore BBMP CUPA Diana Bharucha Dog attack dog bite Dr Piran Hyderabad jallikattu Kelly Johnson Levin Municipal Corporation of Srinagar (SMC) Parsee Parsi Prof. Sonya Ghosh Rakesh Shukla Sandeep SDFB Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (SKUAST smuggling cattle to Bangladesh SONYA GHOSH Stray Dog Free Bangalore stray dogs bangalore Supreme Court Tamil Nadu High Court TAMIL NADU REGULATION OF JALLIKATTU ACT The Voice of STray Dogs Traer Scott VoSD VoSD Conference on Catalyzing Activism for Stray Dogs WP (PIL)427/2007 AND WP No.4034/2007 WP(PIL)501/2007 WP(PIL) 4920/2007 WP (PIL)6229/2007 WP(PIL)7642/2007 WP(PIL)7644/2007