VoSD on TV
CNN IBN 'India Positive' features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
ABN News (formerly Star News) features 'The Voice of Stray Dogs'
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 1)
Bangalore's No 1 news channel News9 on VoSD (Part 2)
- CUPA's ABC of catching dogs - some dogs are too old to learn new tricks
- AWS Queens Road Bangalore: Report on findings point to merciless killing, not just callousness
- Animal Welfare Society (AWS) - an ABC deathtrap that should be shut down
- Hell for stray dogs is the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Autonagar dog pound
- 'Stray Dogs in Indian Cities' - a photo-essay by Gokul Krishnan
- Of touristy ‘Elephant Camps’, elephant training and ‘disciplining’ rogue elephants. This time in Sakrebailu, Shimoga, Karnataka
- Illegal Slaughter house in Rajamudry, East Godavari District run with the knowledge & complicity of the Corporation. Report by Gopal R Surabathula & Animal Rescue Org
- 100+ dogs killed in a 2 hr operation in Aratakatla, Kakinada Rural, East Godavari Dist on July 8. A report by Gopal R Surabathula on location
- Jallikattu Judgement by the Supreme Court of India (Part III): Speciesism and Fundamental Rights on Animals
- Jallikattu Judgement: When the Supreme Court of India declared the rights of animals to be an issue of “Seminal Importance” (Part II)
- Jallikattu Judgement: When the Supreme Court of India declared the rights of animals to be an issue of “Seminal Importance” (Part I)
- The Supreme Court of India rules against animal abuse: Bans Jallikattu and Bullock cart racing
- CNVR in practice in India (Part I): How it ‘eased’ its way in India ‘through’ the sub par TANUVAS-AWBI research
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
The Bull Racing Chess-game: With end-game as Tamilnadu continuing with Jallikattu, and having won in Maharashtra is it likely that AWBI and MOEF decide to loose in Punjab?
Posted on | July 21, 2012 | 1 Comment
As with the other writing on ‘The Voice of Stray Dogs’, unless otherwise specified the writing expresses the opinion of The Voice of Stray Dogs, and not necessarily that of individual VoSD Board members since individual comment/ contribution and consent is neither sought nor received. Here we examine whether this could it be Tamilnadu politics or just the sheer incompetence of the AWBI management, or both, that in case after case AWBI either fails to represent the animals adequalty or in case such as Kashmir and Punjab, fails to represents the animals at all!
In a shocking reversal that occurred on the 4th of July, 2012, the High Court of Punjab and Haryana at Chandigarh has allowed bullock cart races, and held that they can take place at the Kila Raipur Rural Olympics that are held in Punjab in the month of February.
While allowing 3 writ petitions filed for the purpose, the Court has has held that since the viewing public are admitted to this event without the sale of tickets, the animals participating in these races are Not performing animals. Therefore the notification issued by the Central Government on the 11th of July, 2011 under Section 22 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, banning the use of bulls as performing animals, will not apply at all, to the Kila Raipur Sports Festival! The Court has then proceeded to quash the order dated 2nd February, 2012, passed by the Deputy Director, Department of Animal Husbandry, Ludhiana, and the order dated 10th February, 2012, passed by the Deputy Commissioner, Ludhiana, vide which these officials had refused to allow bullock cart racing to take place at the Kila Raipur Olympics held earlier this year.
This order passed by the Punjab High Court is completely contrary to another order passed earlier this year by a Division Bench of the Bombay High Court, upholding the ban on bullock cart races across the State of Maharasthtra. You can read The Voice of Stray Dogs’s report on this order here (Facebook login necessary)
Unfortunately, the Counsel representing the Union of India, i.e. the Centre who was present in Court (since the Union of India was a respondent in the writ petitions) seems not to have informed the Court regarding the earlier order passed by the Division Bench of the Bombay High Court, upholding the bullock cart racing ban. In any event, the Centre seems to be doing precious little for the bulls, and little to uphold its own Notification dated 11th July, 2011, as their attitude towards the jallikattu litigation pending at the High Court at Madurai will reveal.
What is even more shocking than the Centre’s attitude is the fact, that the most important respondent in this sort of case, i.e. the Animal Welfare Board of India, was not even present in Court when this matter was take up for hearing !
A reading of the order makes it clear that the animals were not represented when an order so horribly against their interests, was passed by the Court.
RACE TO 10 LACS
Rs. 1064302 of Rs. 10 lakh
0 5L 10 L
VoSD Source of funds*
16.29 lakhs 298 lakhs
Donor funds Founder funds
Search VoSD CRM
VoSD Rescue quick STATS
|Service available since: 2012-10-15 |
Days in Service: 646
Blood bank Quick Stats
|Service available since: 2014-01-02 |
Days in Service: 202
CONTRIBUTE TO VoSD in INR
Look for content37197/2011 clubbed with WP(PIL)641/2007 Animal Rights Fund Animal Welfare Board of India Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) Animal Welfare Society ARF AWBI AWS bakr-id Bangalore BBMP CUPA Diana Bharucha Dog attack dog bite Dr Piran Hyderabad jallikattu Kelly Johnson Levin Municipal Corporation of Srinagar (SMC) Parsee Parsi Prof. Sonya Ghosh Rakesh Shukla Sandeep SDFB Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (SKUAST smuggling cattle to Bangladesh SONYA GHOSH Stray Dog Free Bangalore stray dogs bangalore Supreme Court Tamil Nadu High Court TAMIL NADU REGULATION OF JALLIKATTU ACT The Voice of STray Dogs Traer Scott VoSD VoSD Conference on Catalyzing Activism for Stray Dogs WP (PIL)427/2007 AND WP No.4034/2007 WP(PIL)501/2007 WP(PIL) 4920/2007 WP (PIL)6229/2007 WP(PIL)7642/2007 WP(PIL)7644/2007